El fin de semana

Tomorrow Robert and I head out on a special mission to San Jose. The mission: buy a guitar. But since it is San Jose, there is a high chance at least one of us won't make it back alive. Not because the town is particularly dangerous, but because we might die of dehydration, starvation or boredom while stuck in San Jose traffic. The roads the city are definitely more planned out than in Atenas, but that doesn't mean that drivers care about following the rules. Almost every store or restaurant has parking lot attendants to help people get in and out alive. The attendants at the mall have pump-action shotguns.

Tonight my family is taking me to La Trocha, a local restaurant. It is one of the better ones in Atenas, and a lot of gringos eat there. After class today I went to Odilie's house and she made spaghetti for me and her husband. As we pulled up to the house, Odie stopped the car and said, "You hear that? My husband and his music." Edwardo was blasting out the jams. She said sometimes he even turns on the karaoke machine and sings at the top of his lungs when nobody else is around.

Then I came back to my house and read by the pool for about an hour. I am about 50 pages from finishing "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." It is an autobiography about this guy who's parents die when he is in his early 20s, leaving him to take care of his little brother. He also wrote the screenplay for what looks to be the best movie ever when it comes about in October, "Where the Wild Things Are."

0 comments: